Official Netflix status for Unorthodox
Netflix has not confirmed yet if unorthodox season 2 is approved. However, season 2 has also not been officially cancelled, so the door is still open for a new season of Unorthodox.
Early signs seem to indicate that there will NOT be a season 2 (however…)
All indications from interviews with the Unorthodox cast and producers point to the fact that there is currently no season 2 planned for Unorthodox:
- Unorthodox was designed as a mini-series from the start, meaning that there were no plans (at least initially) to invest in followup seasons.
- Producer Anna Winger stated in an interview with Metro.co.uk: ‘We are not doing a sequel because we feel that we really told this story. It was always designed as a mini-series’ (April 10 2020). See full article.
- At time of writing of this article, the series started 122 days ago. Many NETFLIX new season renewals happen in the first 60-120 days of release date. This confirms Anna Winder’s statement (made early April) that a sequel was not planned at the start, or it would have most likely already been announced.
However, we believe there are high chances that Unorthodox season 2 is in the works
The following signs point to a possible season 2 renewal:
- At TVscorecards, we keep track of many data points to calculate renewal chances of a TV show, encapsulated in a “TVScorecards Renewal Score”. Unorthodox season 2 has a “84% renewal score“, which puts the show at “High chances” of getting renewed for a new season. The primary reason the score is not over 90% is that the series was designed as a mini-series, which does lower the renewal chances significantly. All other indicators, including popularity indicators and audience scores, are trending positive for a new season 2. Netflix doesn’t disclose viewership data for most shows, but we estimate that approximately 25-30 million viewers have watched Unorthodox. Netflix is getting similar signals, and we are confident that a new season 2 has already been discussed in details.
- Unorthodox has been widely popular and received very high user scores, with a TVscorecards audience score of 90% – view best-rated TV shows renewed for a new season.
- Producer Anna Winder did leave the door open for a similar series, spin-off or even a season 2 that might get approved later by Netflix. It is just not likely to be a follow-up to the same exact story. She stated “I suspect that I will work with these actors again, and with many of my collaborators from this project. We have a lot of new things in development. ‘So it’s not the end of the road for this constellation, but I don’t think we’ll tell this story again. We’ve told it.”
- The first season still left many questions open. For example, as Express.co.uk point out, “viewers never found out if Etsy made it into music school or if she decided to go through with her pregnancy. Viewers were also left in the dark as to whether her husband Yanky (Amit Rahav) and his cousin Moishe (Jeff Wilbusch) returned to New York.”
- We know the tendency in the industry to keep going with story lines if there is strong viewership interest, which is certainly the case here. Fans want to know more about what is next for Etsy. The story is not fully done. While Netflix had no plans to launch a new season 2 at the start, there is a door open for more.
- The Unorthodox series was an TV adaptation of a book (autobiography Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots, by Deborah Feldman). The author has already written a followup to Unorthodox with the publication of Exodus: A Memoir (Two years later). The book discusses the author’s journey in life as a mother and independent woman.
In conclusion, we predict Unorthodox season 2 will be eventually approved by Netflix
This could come in the form of a formal season 2 or a spin-off. The fact that the series started over 120 days ago but we have yet to hear any official news from Netflix mean that there was no formal plans to come up with season 2 but we believe it could in the works (explaining the delays in the announcement).
We will update this post as soon as we learn the official status from Netflix.
TVscorecards is the most up-to-date database on Netflix renewed and cancelled shows. See our Netflix renewal scorecard for the latest status on your favorite TV shows.
Renew/Cancel Status: Ongoing/Awaiting Decision
Number of viewers* (millions): 30
TVscorecards score: 90% (Our score is calculated using several popularity indicators and quality ratings to generate a highly-accurate score).
About this show:
Unorthodox is the story of a 19-year-old Jewish woman, who escapes her marriage and her community to start a new life in Berlin, Germany. Esty, the young orthodox Orthodox woman, lives unhappily in an arranged marriage in New York City. She flees to Germany, and tries to build a new life, finding a life outside her community and rejecting all the beliefs she grew up with. Her husband, finding out she is pregnant, goes to Berlin with her cousin, to try to find her.
View our show page for more: